Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Birthday Weekend

What a whirlwind weekend! Remind me again why I had 2 kids a day apart from each other? We started the festivities on Friday night with a family trip to Upchuck Your Cheese (AKA Chuck E Cheese) where the kids had a grand old time putting tokens into machines... We spent $30 to get enough tickets for the kids to get $5 worth of junk. Yeah, we know we are dumb. Then, on Saturday, we had Justin's birthday party. Here in our small town, there is really only one place to have a birthday party--the ancient bowling alley. Justin loves bowling so he was all for it. I decided it would be fun to make a bowling ball cake. Yup, the ball is made of cake. I got this cool pan from Wilton that makes a "sports ball cake." I tried to set it on top of another cake using dowels to support the ball but the ball was just too heavy.


By the time we got to the bowling alley, it was about ready to fall off and roll away. Remind me to never again try and do a tiered cake when I have to drive it somewhere. It was quite the adventure getting there without the ball ending up in my lap.


He loved it though and all of his friends fought over getting the top half of the sphere or the bottom half.
For his birthday we got him camo and a camel pak so that he can go hunting with dad. Here he is modeling his new gear while holding one of the elk sheds he found with Chris last week. (Don't ask me why they are in the house... they are nasty!)


On Saturday night we went with my parents to Loco Lizard in Park City for some good Mexican food to celebrate the birthdays and Mother's Day. Then on Sunday, we had Anna's birthday. She has wanted a Cinderella cake for a few months now so I made sure she got what she wanted. By the time it was ready to decorate, I was burned out on cake making after the 2 hours it took for Justin's cake. I did a quickie job on hers and she thought it was "magical."

We tried to take a picture of all of us but Anna was more interested in licking the frosting off of the Barbie cake topper. She got new Cinderella shoes, Cinderella Polly Pockets, a Cinderella Barbie, a Cinderella dress... notice the trend here?

What a long weekend! It was a lot of fun though and Justin is already planning his birthday for next year!

7 comments:

Beckie said...

you had such a crazy weekend. sounds like the kids had fun though and that's really special. super cool bowling ball cake. i'll probably be making a star wars cake in a few weeks..lol

Di said...

Oh my... those are awesome cakes! You are so talented! Thanks for the photoshop link I have already tried some things, but I need more practice.
Having birthdays so close would be a bit crazy.

Coombs Family said...

The cakes look great! I can't believe you had two birthday parties so close. CRAZY!

Audra said...

Okay I am inspired. My new hobby, I decided is going to be cake decorating and now I am definitely in the mood to bake. Those cakes are just amazing. Great job. You are so crafty. I bet your kids just love it!!!!

Jason&Linze said...

yummy, i want cake!

Katie said...

Fun parties, I got the same cake pan online for Ryan's birthday! I think I'm going to do two basketballs. They look so fun!

Anonymous said...

Wow, super mom, you need to take a break. You'll go from painting, to Justin's baptism, to Alli's birthday and another cake. Sheesh. I'm tired just thinking about it!