Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Not too shabby at the School Spelling Bee!

Justin competed in the school spelling bee today and walked away with 3rd place! Not too shabby considering he is in 3rd grade and competed against 4th and 5th graders also. He ended up getting out after the 2nd round after mispelling "diatribe". Then there were only 2 kids left who took first and second place. Then they called back up the 7 that were left before that to duel it out for 3rd place. After one more round, it was down to him and a fifth grade girl. They spelled back and forth for almost 20 minutes before she missed "achievement". Justin correctly spelled it and then spelled "lettuce" to win that round. Some other words that I remember he correctly spelled were: safari, excise, hawkeye, femininity, prescription, and exuberate. We have decided that he definitely has a gift for spelling and are glad that he loves it so much!

Some pictures: (Sorry, taken with my cell phone... I forgot the camera!!)
Before the bee... pretty nervous!


Fighting for 3rd place...

8 comments:

Audra said...

Wow that is exciting. Being a good speller is definitely a gift.

Amylee said...

Go Justin! He's such a great kid. I really miss him in scouts. I hope he is proud of himself- that is quite an achievement. (Side note: You should rent Akeelah and the Bee and watch it as a family. It's a great show.)

Jason&Linze said...

Well he definitely has me beat for spelling! I can't live with out spell check!! lol

Anonymous said...

He takes after his mom, who also never practiced. It comes naturally for both of you. I'm so proud of him!!! He's such a smart boy!

Christi said...

Way to go Justin!!

Katie said...

Congratulations Justin!!!

Anne Pearson Photography said...

YOU GO MR.JUSTIN! You've got a neat kid there. WE (meaning all of us) think Justin is super cool... and we want him to be "our Guitar Hero" also!

Nelson said...

I am so impressed. Not sure I could have done that well.